Saturday, October 2, 2010

Perpetual Balancing Act

“Teacher, you are contradicting yourself.”

“No. Instructions have to vary as students needs change. Imagine that you're walking down the road in the dark and can't see where you're going. And that I, wearing night vision goggles am directing you. If I see you drifting off toward the ditch on your right, I'll tell you to go left. If you're too far to the left ...”

I speak repeatedly of awakening to one's quiet presence. This isn't to imply that the conceptual/emotional mind is to be abandoned or disenfranchised. It's an important and integral part of who we are. It's just that most are stuck in that ditch, so I repeatedly coach to the other side. The goal being to walk the middle way, to find and sustain balance, to stand with one foot in each world.

No comments:

Post a Comment