Saturday, October 16, 2010

Load Gravel

Most of us tend to accumulate so much crap that we don't have a clear inventory of what we do have. This is true in our outward collections of things and of our inner holdings of belief and self concept.

The clutter collection:

“It's useful” - It just hasn't been used (or thought of) for years.
“It's worth a lot” - Even though it wears more dust than the Gobi desert.
“It has sentimental value” - If only I could find it to remind me of the occasion.
“I can fix it or make something cool out of it” - Because no one has enough projects.
“It was a gift from ...” - And they're sure to appreciate seeing it in that box in your basement.
“You never know when you'll need another one” - So why not procure three of everything you own?

As for the inside stuff:

“It keeps me grounded” - Even if it's fictitious or ill conceived.
“It defines who I am” - Although we know we're only defined by how we're being, right now.
“Without it I wouldn't know what to do” - Because habitually is the only way to travel.
“It keeps me part of my community” - So they can tell you who/how you're supposed to be.
“Everyone does it” - Which reminds me, it's time to pay my dues to the Brittany Spears fan club.
“It's how I learned to be, how I've always been” - And I still love those little jars of pureed peas and squished squashes, too.

Let it go. Be free of clutter, inane responsibilities, personal expectations and familiar ruts. It's far more comfortable to think, listen, learn, travel, talk, work and dance when one's naked, than it is when carrying a truckload of silly superfluous souvenirs around. Lightening your load will uplift your mood, grant you clearer vision and allow you to move and groove with far greater ease and peace. I know that the moment of separation can be fraught with anxiety and angst; but once it's gone, friendly feelings, long forgotten, float to the foreground and ... ahhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment