Monday, October 4, 2010

Eh? What's that? Speak up!

In the land of mind-readers … Oh, but wait, I live here.

As long as I can remember, I've heard people say things like, “Couldn't you tell?”, “How could you not know?”, “I would have said something, but I thought it was obvious”, et. al. It may have been a girl I really liked who also liked me, but I had no idea. Perhaps I was supposed to not say something, according to someone else's reasoning, and I missed the memo. Did that wink mean “You know what I mean” or “You know, of course, that's not really what I mean”?

It's so clear to us how we think and feel, and we may try to show it with a look or a touch or a gesture. The problem is, the other generally doesn't pick up on it or doesn't know quite how to interpret it. We may think of ourselves as very open people with all of our cards out on the table for everyone to see. But this isn't the case unless you vocalize.

Actions, of course, speak their own language, and I would encourage you to use that, as well. But, to most, I suggest that you use your words a little more freely when there's something that you truly want another to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment