Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Parade Day

There's a perpetual parade passing along the main street in my mind. It's made of all manner of characters. Some are in drag, some are on stilts, some on floats and some floating along, grounded by tethers and guided by others wearing white face. As I pass among them, I'm dizzied by the deluge of sights and sounds, characters and costumes. They all seem to ooze enticement, promise treasures or have interesting tales to tell. And I'm often caught up in the current and stride along with of one them taking in his story. Although the tides tug and characters hug, I've learned that being amid the parade doesn't really give me the most effective perspective.

Fortunately, I have an all access pass to a balcony that provides me with an overview of the continuing cavalcade. From there I can see which work together and which bump into each other. Which meander and which are steadily fixed on target. Which are happy and fun and which are just plain silly. I see which ones are loners and which are bound together in a string of “follow the leader”. And I see the tandem juggling acts, with multiple balls bouncing back and forth - feelings inspiring thoughts that strengthen their seed feelings, and thoughts inspiring feelings that provide proof the idea's significance.

Most importantly, I see the parade, as what it is. A non stop festival of frivolity that isn't as all encompassing or defining, as it seems. It's useful for my living, but not necessary for my being. It's of me, yet I'm not of it. It's a good thing, just better when viewed from above. So now I can live with it, rather than for it.

Stock up on sparklers. Clean out your kazoos. Unfurl your flags. And bounce on up to a balcony. Your procession is well underway. Breath it in, and enjoy the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment