Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Arupa Philosophy - in a nutshell.

Yoga's postures aren't merely feats to be achieved; they’re vehicles into a heightened attunement of the body, mind and spirit. If the body is thought of as an object to be manipulated, and limits as obstacles to be overcome, then struggles will arise. The body will feel threatened and expend great amounts of energy fighting against the desired movements, and imagined success will always be a distant goal. One can, however, develop a friendly partnership with the body, by blending the will with intuition and the body’s wisdom, and exercising patience and acceptance. Then an harmonious relationship ensues and practice becomes a joyous exploration of new territories, deepening sensations and broadening horizons.

A relatively "seasoned" woman on the mat next to mine in a teacher training a few years ago gave me, what felt like, a great compliment. She said she’d never seen anyone do yoga like me before - that it looked like I poured myself into my postures.

(We’ve gone from having actors and actresses, to everyone being actors; likewise, when I say yogis, I'm including all the ‘ginis as well.) Most yogis move into their postures like robots on fixed tracks, following the same path in the same way like musicians perfecting a piece of music the way it’s “supposed” to be.

I’m more of an improviser. I know the general form that the asana is aiming for and I feel my way into, and around, it patiently and sensitively. When I'm "in" a pose, there’s always an exploration happening. I feel where the prana wants to go, I seek to dislodge impingements, and I urge energy to infuse areas of stagnation. Sometimes the movement is deeper into the posture and sometimes it becomes another pose altogether. Some times the movements are so slow and small that someone watching couldn’t tell it was happening, other times it’s quite dynamic and active. And brief or long pauses interject themselves periodically. It's a very organic process.

It’s not like I do a posture and then go on break until I'm into another one. The entrances, exits and transitions are as much a part of the practice as is “proper” asana. As I repeatedly tell my students, it’s not about the outward configuration of the postures as much as it is about tuning into the inner experience, seeking out and following the instinctual guidance that arises. Increasing awareness is far more beneficial than increasing range of movement.

Our bodies are different from day to day; shouldn’t our postures be as well? With Arupa yoga, I endeavor to foster individual personal practices, in a group setting.

I don't consider myself an exercise instructor, but a teacher. I fully appreciate the benefits of asana and enjoy educating through the body; but, my primary goal is to teach the practice, not the postures; and to empower others to tend to their own well-being, on a holistic level. Ideally, practice doesn't stop just because the toes have wandered off of the mat - it's a way of life.

I seek to teach about anatomy and physiology and how they are affected by each posture and the overall practice of yoga. About personal and inter-personal psychology and how yoga and meditation can provide individual insights and glimpses deep within; and to discuss questions or issues of spirit, philosophy and oneness. I try to instill my students with confidence in their inner knowing, to remind them of their inherent worthiness and to encourage them to explore themselves and their environment, freely - with open eyes, an open mind and an open heart. I want them to feel, and fully understand, that it can be their choice to experience the world as a place of great beauty and joy - that what they receive is directly related to how they perceive.

Following imposed or preprogrammed rules and guidelines in life is not being responsible. Responsibility requires conscious, deliberate, heart-felt choices, at every step along the way. It may seem like a weighty prospect from the outside , but it's eminently empowering and uplifting to take responsibility for ones own life, how it is interpreted and how it unfolds.

Practicing yoga/meditation creates new neural pathways providing one with the fresh eyes necessary to see what is, as it is, the courage to accept it as such and the clarity and creativity to act accordingly. In this way, yoga begins to infuse and improve all of one's life, and even affects the lives of those with whom the practitioner interacts, on a daily basis.

Learning the postures and following along with a class is the easy part. Receiving and adhering to one's inner guidance is the real challenge - and the real reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment