Monday, November 7, 2011

Why do I?

I don't write and teach for personal gain or to prove how clever I can be. My mission is actually very ambitious. Practical or not, I do so for the long term well being of the whole. It's understandable that people might find my motives to be a mystery, because I never tell the end of the story. But that's the way it's supposed to be. I'm not trying to provide the answers; but rather, to give folks the tools, clues, guidance and inspiration that will enable them to find out for themselves. That way, the lessons are engrained more deeply. And some need to penetrate to the core, in order to be properly integrated.

When I encourage others to empty their minds, it's not solely for their personal benefit; but more so, encouraging self improvement for the sake of the whole. It's when we get quiet, that we feel our interconnectedness. Compassion isn't an idea. We can't think our way into a loving and generous nature. And following well intentioned rules of conduct won't turn anyone into a benevolent being. I want people to experience their oneness with everything, so that they begin to embody attitudes and adopt actions that are harmonious with the greater good. Dispelling the fantasy of self isn't about attaining some exalted state of being, because it's a mighty and noble accomplishment. It's about feeling and knowing that the wishes of the self aren't more important than the welfare of the community of all beings, and the loving earth upon which they depend; and then, living in accordance with that awareness.

So, I write and teach … and hope.

1 comment: