Friday, November 27, 2009

Universal Unfolding in a Microcosm

The moss creates a comfortable cushion between the rock and my buttocks. The sounds of water playing over the rocks, wind dancing through the trees, and the birds and bugs joining in chorus flood my ears and lull my mind to peace. The breeze strokes my beard and pushes the musty earthen smell aside with a mild fragrance of blossoms as the current cleans the sand from between my toes before they plunge again. Spikes of sun light feed the ferns and warm the side of my nose numbing one eye. Squirrels chase up one tree and leap to the next like miniature monkeys playing in love. Water striders skate above the tad poles and crayfish while leaves float freely by. A less fortunate stick gets mired in a foamy eddy created by last years cast off branches embracing a rock. The sun is cooled by a passing cloud as I instinctively stretch, spurring a frog to dive into liquid safety. The rustling of rummaging draws nearer, the hunter, still invisible to my eyes, somewhere near a previous generations trunk, now turned to fertile loam. My body has become a playground for a variety of crawling, inching and flying friends - very much a part of the unfolding moment. A smile erupts as the brief melody from my pursed lips lofts away.

Alert and present, never feeling more connected and welcome. Time is a distant notion. Self has dissolved. It all makes perfect sense and bears profound significance, even as the faint morning moon reminds me of the miniscule proportions of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment